Tulen Center is pleased to offer on site after school No! Go! Yell! Tell! Kids’ Self Defense Classes at Beaverton and SW Portland public schools. Read more about the program and find out how you can benefit. These classes were FREE thanks to a generous grant from the Tulen Foundation.
No! Go! Yell! Tell! Kids’ Self Defense Class for kids 6-11 years old is fun and empowering. As experts, we want your child to be aware, but also to feel safe. With age appropriate information presented calmly and clearly, and a focus on your child’s strengths, we do just that. Kids learn to use their voice and get out of situations that are uncomfortable or even threatening. They learn to hit and hit hard. We talk about when it’s appropriate to hit and when it’s not. We ask you to stay and participate or watch. Your child will be the safest when you open up strong lines of communication and keep this conversation going at home.
Here are just a few of the many comments people shared with us in a post-class survey:
- I think you did a great job of expressing that the lessons learned here are to be used in truly dangerous situations, not on your annoying sibling. And the whole class seemed to be at just the right pace to keep the kids attention, which is a difficult thing to do.
- I was happy about the information supplied. Delivery was excellent! Thank you for presenting it in a PG manner!
- The instructor was amazing. Even my kiddo who is very anxious and has sensory issues came home and asked if we could go to self-defense every Wednesday! Wonderful class!
- He learned how to use his power to hit as hard as he can instead of worrying about poses and techniques that are harder to grasp.
- My child learned to trust her guts and walk with confidence.
- You taught my child how to stay safe. The entire presentation and all of the information given was important.
- Don’t be afraid to say, NO!
- My daughter gained confidence and was able to be really LOUD!
- It was an excellent class. We both enjoyed and took away so much valuable information.
- The information you shared was relevant but not scary.
- I loved the class and am glad my child could attend.
- I feel the presentation of the information was handled great and was spoken in terms that the kids understood.
- The instructor was intelligent, a good communicator and an excellent presenter.
- This was a very positive and empowering class that I wish everyone could benefit from.
- Just want to say thank you for doing these free classes at elementary schools.
- Thank you for offering this service. My very shy child benefited the most. He’s not a joiner so I was surprised that when he eventually got into it, he really tried hard to do things as you showed. He’s been talking about it as well. Thank you!
- Thank you for your time and energy spent teaching our kids!
About the Instructor:
Silvia Smart is a dynamic and engaging teacher, presenter and consultant. She holds a master’s degree in special education and has a 6th degree black belt in a traditional martial art, which she has been training in for almost 30 years. Silvia also owns Tulen Center, a martial arts school in Beaverton, where she lives with her husband and their kids.
If you are interested in being on our contact list so you can find out about classes we’ll be offering in the future, let us know.
Tulen Center is affiliated with The Tulen Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit that provides scholarships for those in need. Please inquire for more information or for a Tulen Foundation application.